Manifestation of high cholesterol on the skin

It is known that the appearance of a person can tell about most diseases. Since the course of almost all processes in the human body can change the color and structure of the skin. So, various neoplasms appear on the surface of the skin for a reason. And there are a number of reasons for this. Such an urgent problem in the world of medicine as high blood cholesterol, which is dangerous in its consequences, is no exception. But this problem can be determined without tests, the delivery of which will only clarify the concentration of cholesterol. 

Causes of increased blood cholesterol

The production of cholesterol in the body is assigned to the liver, kidneys and some genitals. It should be noted that the cholesterol produced by the organs is only 80% of the total cholesterol in the blood. The remaining 20% ‚Äč‚Äčenter the body mainly with food of animal origin. Often this ratio can change to either side. People can influence this ratio by changing their lifestyle and food culture.

Cholesterol is part of the blood in the form of lipoproteins, which can be of high and low density. It is the lipoproteins with low density that are considered to be “bad”. An increase in their concentration can lead to the appearance of atherosclerotic plaques, as well as the occurrence of strokes and heart attacks. When it comes to raising cholesterol, it means an increase in LDL levels.

There is such a rare disease as familial hypercholesterolemia , which is characterized by the fact that low density lipoproteins become more than high density.

The following factors contribute to an increase in low-density cholesterol:

  • Eating large quantities of fatty and heavy food for digestion. These include fatty meats, baked goods with low-grade fats, milk and products from it with a high percentage of fat. In addition, when buying products, you should carefully study its composition indicated on the label. Coconut and palm oil are the main sources of LDL.
  • Sedentary lifestyle. Physical activity contributes to a change in the percentage of lipoproteins – the amount of “good” lipoproteins rises, and LDL decreases.
  • Overweight. Provides for an increase in the amount of low density lipoproteins.
  • Heredity and age. After the age of 20, physiologically, the level of cholesterol in the blood gradually begins to rise in spite of the previous factors. Moreover, if a person is genetically predisposed to such diseases, then it is necessary to constantly monitor the level of cholesterol in the blood.

How does high cholesterol appear on the skin?

In addition to the barrier function, human skin also performs an excretory function. Consequently, metabolic disorders and most pathological processes often manifest themselves on the skin. The skin seems to bring out the excess from the body, so that a person pays attention to his health. So an increase in blood cholesterol of more than 6.24 mmol / l appears on the skin in the form of xanthomas .

Varieties of xanthom

Depending on the location on the skin of the body, xanthomas are:

  • Xanthoma near the eyes. This type of xanthoma is also known as xanthelasma , which are soft, yellow, subcutaneous blisters around the eyes. It is the most common type of xanthomas .
  • Flat xanthoma – is located in the places of skin folds on the feet and palms.
  • Tuberous xanthoma – localized on the fingers, elbows, knees and buttocks.
  • Tendon xanthoma . Its locations can be both the extensor tendons and the Achilles tendon.
  •  Multiple nodular xanthoma can be located randomly over the entire surface of the skin. The most common sites are the buttocks and the back of the thighs.

Usually, a person rarely notices xanthomas on the skin at their small size, and often does not attach importance to them. Whereas the appearance of xanthomas on the face, namely on the eyelids and around the eyes, is immediately noticed and worries patients. Since this is not only a signal about metabolic disorders, but also an aesthetic and cosmetic defect.

It must be remembered that yellow plaques in the eye area ( xanthelasma ) are a sign of high cholesterol.

By getting rid of the root cause, namely high cholesterol levels, xanthomas can disappear. Physical activity and diet, which are discussed with the attending physician, will return the skin evenness and purity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *