Atherosclerosis is a disease that occurs when lipid metabolism is impaired, which causes the deposition of cholesterol in the vessels, which leads to blockage of blood vessels, impairs blood circulation and promotes the formation of blood clots. This disease often develops in conjunction with hypertension. Patients with atherosclerosis can also suffer from overweight and a number of many diseases resulting from metabolic disorders. But the development of the disease can be significantly slowed down or even completely eliminated, since fat deposits in the vessels can dissolve. But such a favorable prognosis depends only on the patient himself, and more precisely – on his lifestyle. With atherosclerosis it is very important to get rid of bad habits, engage in light sports and, of course, adhere to a special diet.
Atherosclerosis diet goals
The patient, adhering to a diet for atherosclerosis, seeks to reduce hyperlipidemia and slow down the development of the disease. Another name for this diet, with limited salt intake, is the hyponatrium diet. When observed, the human body is saturated with dietary fiber, as well as polyunsaturated fatty acids, which reduces the likelihood of deposition of cholesterol in the vessels . Also, patients with atherosclerosis, it is necessary to monitor the calorie intake of foods, because in the absence of physical activity, the daily intake should not exceed 2500 kcal, and even less with obesity.
Atherosclerosis Prohibited Products
First of all, patients with atherosclerosis need to abandon animals and hydrogenated fats, since some contain a lot of cholesterol, while others contribute to its deposition on the walls of blood vessels. Therefore, with atherosclerosis, it is necessary to exclude from the diet:
- fatty meat and fat;
- butter, spreads and margarine;
- liver, kidneys, brains and pastes (especially liver);
- sausages and sausages;
- rich meat broths (beef broth in second water is recommended);
- skin of a bird;
- chips, chips, fries;
- sour cream, mayonnaise, fatty sauces, cream and ice cream;
- whole milk, cheeses (fat content over 30%) and condensed milk;
- muffins and sweets, as they are high in calories and contain a lot of light sugars.
What is recommended to limit with atherosclerosis
These products are recommended to be consumed in limited quantities:
- vegetable oil;
- lean meat, for example, beef, but without fat, ham and low-fat minced meat;
- cheeses with a fat content of 30% or less;
- soy sauce;
- alcoholic beverages (red wine should be preferred).
Approved Products for Atherosclerosis
From these products, people with the disease atherosclerosis, it is recommended to draw up their main diet:
- poultry fillet without fat and skin;
- veal, rabbit meat and game;
- fish, especially marine fish, since in varieties of oily fish there is a rather high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids, which have a beneficial effect on the state of blood vessels;
- cereals and pasta;
- wholemeal bread;
- dairy products and skim milk;
- herbs, spices, and also vegetables and fruits, except dates and grapes, which can be consumed in limited quantities;
- weak coffee and tea;
- eggs (no more than 1-2 per week).